EALD (English as an Additional Language or Dialect) Support is available for students who have recently arrived from overseas. These students may be migrants or international (fee-paying) students.
This support includes:
- EALD classes in Years 7 and 8 as an alternative to studying Chinese/Spanish
- EALD electives in Years 9 and 10
- ENL (English for ESL Learners) subject in Years 11 and 12
- EALD teachers supporting EALD learners and their teachers through in-class support
- EALD advice to teachers on resources and strategies
- EALD tutorials at Recess
- Wednesday Period 4 tutorials for Years 11 and 12 (Compulsory for Year 11 in Semester 1; negotiated after that time)
The EALD Department also includes the Language Enrichment Centre.
The Language Enrichment Centre is a fulltime program of intensive English for Migrant students. It is part of the Migrant Education Program in Brisbane. Our English as an Additional Language or Dialect Department (EALD) offers intensive support to students who are recently arrived Australians who need additional English language support. Students first attend Milpera State High School and then study in the Language Enrichment Centre for their second-stage preparation. They study English through Mathematics, Science, Literature, Study of Society and the Environment, Information Technology and Grammar.
Migrant students in our mainstream are supported by the EALD Department. The EALD teachers work closely with class teachers and provide in-class support and some additional English as a Second Language (ESL) classes. Tutorial assistance is provided to students individually when necessary. This comprehensive assistance builds success for the students in their regular classes.
Our EALD Department has been most influential in developing and maintaining a harmonious and integrated multicultural environment at our school. Each year our diversity is celebrated with our special United Nations Day Festival.
For further details contact Barbara Roebuck, Head of Department, EALD on email@example.com